Being able to workout each day often means squeezing it in at night, after the kids are settled at home from all of their schooling and activities and you’ve finished your many tasks for the day. How can you possibly muster up the energy for both a workout and a nutritious meal?! With these ten post workout dinner ideas you will be able to eat a delicious dinner with many pre-fixed ingredients that you can customize to your favorite tastes!
1. Burrito-Less Bowl: For this yummy meal you can skip the Chipotle line (and calories!) Use pre-cooked chicken breast from your fridge, or a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket (hint: if you keep a rotisserie chicken in the fridge you can repurpose it for use all week!) Heat up your chicken breast and then in a bowl combine fresh produce, salsa and whole grain rice. Top with chicken and add cilantro, greek yogurt, or some cheese to dress it up!
2. Hummus and Veggie Wrap: This dinner option is so easy! Use store bought hummus and spread it across a whole wheat or veggie wrap. Dress up your wrap with seasoning and your favorite veggies like spinach, carrots, cucumber or radishes! (Hint: pre-cut veggies when you return from the supermarket and keep in airtight containers so that you have easy access all week!)
3. Lighter Chicken Salad: Cut up some pre-made chicken breasts and mix with greek yogurt (instead of mayonnaise,) add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste. Feel free to spice it up with small celery chunks, raisins, apple cubes, halved grapes, or walnuts. Eat this straight out of the bowl, make an open-faced sandwich with whole wheat bread or scoop it into lettuce cups!
4. Seared Salmon: Defrost salmon filets from the freezer, or if you have the time, buy fresh salmon that day. Season the filets with salt and pepper. Place into an oiled frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until it is a light pink color throughout. Pair with steamed veggies of your choice and a lemon wedge for a quick and deliciously warm meal!
5. Power Protein Omelette: Use egg whites, chopped spinach, avocado and a sprinkling of your favorite cheese to create a delicious, creamy, yet protein packed and lean omelette. This will fuel you up and keep you full!!
6. Pre-Made Quinoa Salad: Make this meal ahead of time! All you’ll have to do when you’re ready for dinner is scoop it onto your plate! Combine chopped bell peppers, rinsed chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and diced cucumbers into a bowl with your cooked quinoa. Mix together and season with salt and pepper for a delicious and refreshing salad to end your night!
7. Teriyaki Chicken and Lettuce Wraps: Make your own teriyaki marinade using honey, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Let your pre-cooked chicken breasts soak in these flavors all day until you are ready for dinner. Chop or shred the chicken, add walnuts or cashews and veggies that you love to fill into lettuce boats!
8. Kale Caesar: Slice kale into thin strips, add crispy chickpeas for a crunch, mix together greek yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese to taste for your dressing. Toss in your favorite veggies and dig in! You can add chicken, shrimp, salmon and any other salad-favorites of yours!
9. Shrimp and Rice: Shrimp and rice is so easy to make! It is perfect for nights that you want to load up on carbs, perhaps before a big day of training. Cook your shrimp with olive oil, red pepper flakes and lemon juice in a frying pan until the shrimp turn pink. Eat over whole grain rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, or a salad! If you keep frozen shrimp in your freezer they can be ready in minutes and they taste just as good as fresh shrimp!
10. Corn, Black Bean and Quinoa Salad: Steam corn in the microwave, rinse your black beans, and cook your quinoa on the stove top. Combine in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper over the top and then mix together again. This makes for a delicious meal, or it can be used as a side with chicken or shrimp.
Each of these meals have components that can be pre-made, making it easy to whip up after a tough workout! You can substitute ingredients so that you’re using products that you love! Get creative, substitute different proteins, use salads as sides to chicken or shrimp, and come up with your favorites! You can use this list to mix and match and have dinners planned out for the entire month! Enjoy!